August 2, 2017 • STYLE SCHOOL
Style School: 10 Southern Style Rules Y’all Should Know
These are the dressing guidelines our mamas and grandmamas have passed down to us, and the learnings we’ve come to acquire along the way as we’ve built our wardrobes.
Because if you dress well and treat those around you with kindness, you’ll bring a little joy and happiness wherever you go.
Below, 10 Southern style rules we keep in mind every single day.
1. No closet is complete without a go-to summer dress.
When it’s just too hot and humid, a dress is the only piece you need.
Pictured here: NET-A-PORTER Floral Row Lace Dress
2. Always make a statement when you walk in a room.
Wear bright colors, and keep your head and hair high.
Pictured here: Hydrangea Row Payton Dress
3. It’s all about the details.
Whether it’s in the detailed embroidery or the swingy tassels, every Southern wardrobe needs a little somethin’ special.
Pictured here: Marina Stripe Cover-Up
4. Never underestimate the power of a pretty sleeve.
Pretty sleeves, and a famous homemade recipe or two, are your secret weapons.
Pictured here: Cherry Orchard Ruffle Shirtdress
5. Pockets make every dress better.
Somethin’ has to hold your bobby pins and lipstick.
Pictured here: Lace Payton Dress
6. A bright pair of heels is always a good idea.
Pictured here: Umbrella Love Circle Dress
7. Gingham shorts are a summer essential.
Gingham is considered a wardrobe basic in these parts.
8. Don’t be afraid to match your dress to your bag.
Nothin’ wrong with a little matchy-matchy.
9. Make sure you can always have fun in your dresses (or anything you wear)!
Because what’s the point of wearing something beautiful if you aren’t having a good time?
Pictured here: Parton Check Mary Beth Halter Dress
10. And finally…
Probably the post important rule, y’all.
Shop all our favorite Southern style rules and looks here.