Adele’s JW Chicken and Salsa Verde
- ¼ cup capers in salt
- 4 anchovy filets
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ½ cup chopped arugula
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup chopped tarragon
- ¼ cup chopped fresh chives
- ¼ cup chopped fresh sage
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- One 4-pound free-range organic chicken (fresh only)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 450° F.
- Wash the chicken in hot water. Dry with paper towels.
- Using kitchen shears, cut out the backbone of the chicken and remove any fat (this can be added to a chicken stock). Then, using a heavy chef’s knife, cut out the breastbone. Season the two halves with sea salt and black pepper.
- Place the chicken halves, skin side up, on two sizzle platters and dab with the olive oil. Cut the lemon in half and place a half, cut side down, next to the chicken on each platter.
- Roast the chicken for 35 minutes, basting every 10 minutes. If it is not browning well, turn it over after 15 minutes, and then right it for the last 5 minutes. When it is done, remove the chicken to a platter and pour off the excess fat. Cut each breast in half and cut the thigh from the leg.
- Garnish with the roasted lemon.
- Soak capers in cold water for an hour then drain.
- Soak anchovies in cold water for 15 minutes then pat dry and remove the bones.
- Using a mortar and pestle, smash the capers, anchovies, and garlic, until smooth, then transfer to a large bowl.
- Add all herbs and olive oil.
- Season with sea salt. It should be chunky, not oily.
- Drizzle over the roasted chicken.